What I Have Learned About the Magic of Circus
By The Circus Doc
Join Dr. Dean Kriellaars for a celebration of circus!
We are so lucky to have this opportunity to hear from Dr. Kriellaars, expert in Physical Literacy, Durability, and Circus Physiology in the November Circus Smart Speaker Series lecture.
In this talk he will cover the following topics:
- physical literacy and its relationship to circus
- the unique demands of circus relative to sport from a social, creative, and risk perspective
- the successful implementation of circus arts in public schools
- Known psychological factors and physical characteristics of student artists
- Sleep! high performance training and its impacts
- research results on the benefits of lifelong circus participation & circus as a model of "active for life"
Dr. Dean Kriellaars is a neuroscientist and one of the founding fathers and world renowned experts in physical literacy, committed to the development and application of research into motor skill development, gender bias, risky play and resilience.
A prolific researcher:
- His Human Performance Laboratory supports numerous students and staff in undertaking research on physical literacy.
- He also undertakes research in performance enhancement and injury prevention in the high performance circus setting at the National Circus School and Cirque du Soleil.
- He is the designer of the PLAY tools for physical literacy assessment, and
- He is an original contributor to the Passport for Life tool for PHE Canada.
An award winning thought leader:
- 2013 - Builder Award, Manitoba Physical Education Teachers Association, for promotion of child health in the province of Manitoba
- 2012 - Commissioner’s certificate of appreciation, drug awareness contributions, Canadian champions video, Royal Canadian Mounted Police
- 2012 - Champion, Canadian Sport for Life
- 2007 - Healthy Living Award for Province of Manitoba, Reh-Fit Centre Foundation, for outstanding contribution to building community wellness
- 2007 - Recognition of community relevant research, office of the vice president, University of Manitoba, healthy lifestyle – “I didn’t know I didn’t have one”
- 2007 - Co-chair, Premier’s committee on healthy living, Premier of Manitoba, Province of Manitoba, For outstanding leadership in healthy living research and education
Can't make it live?
** RECORDING AVAILABLE ** for one week afterwards
More about Dr. Dean Kriellaars:
Dr. Kriellaars is the Scientific Director at the National Circus School, an associate professor in the Department of Physical Therapy at the College of Rehabilitation Sciences, Rady Faculty of Health Sciences, University of Manitoba and the Durability by Design Co-Lead at Cirque du Soleil.
- BPE, Physical Education, University of Manitoba
- MSc, Kinesiology, Dalhousie University
- PhD, Physiology, University of Manitoba
- Certified Exercise Physiologist, Canadian Society for Exercise Physiology
The Circus Doc