Landing a Remarkable Interview
By What Works with Tara McMullin
There are more benefits to being a guest on someone else's podcast than I can count. But here are just a few:
- Book sales, new clients, and speaking engagements—I've experienced real financial benefits from being interviewed on podcasts (and so have our clients at YellowHouse.Media)
- New perspective and ideas—a great interview has a way of sparking your creative mojo
- New connections—I've met so many great people simply by agreeing to (or asking for) an interview
Maybe those reasons convince you to put some energy into landing remarkable interviews, but you don't know where to start. Or maybe you've been trying to land remarkable interviews and coming up short.
In this 90-minute workshop, I'll walk you through:
- Researching which shows are right for you to pitch
- Finding the angles that will make podcast hosts say "yes!"
- Crafting a pitch that actually gets opened
- Preparing for an interview
- Giving your best interview, from great answers to expert microphone technique
We'll also discuss podcasting trends specifically as they relate to podcast pitching and what not to do when you're pitching yourself.
I'm a writer, podcaster, and producer who's done over 400 interviews for my own podcast, What Works. I've also appeared on numerous podcasts over the last decade, including Being Boss, Unemployable, The Copyblogger Podcast, Beyond the To-Do List, The Widest Net, Unmistakeable Creative, Free Time, and many more. In addition to writing and hosting What Works, I'm also co-founder of YellowHouseMedia, a boutique podcast production agency for people changing the way we think about culture, creativity, leadership, and business.
Will this be recorded?
Yes! This workshop will be recorded—available at the same URL as the live workshop within minutes of the end of the live broadcast.
Do I have to be on camera?
Nope! This workshop is hosted on Crowdcast, where you can ask questions and chat along without the pressure of being on camera or on mic.
Will you be giving individual feedback?
No, but there will be plenty of time to ask questions.
Do I need to be a podcaster?
Nope! This workshop is for anyone who is interested in appearing on podcasts—but you don't need to have your own podcast.
What Works with Tara McMullin